I haven’t been using my laptop since the last 4 months and thus I forgot the administrator log-in password. Luckily I had created a guest account using which I logged in and started looking for ways by which I could recover my password. Initially I came across a few methods that involve running a command prompt, but these methods required me to be logged in as one of the administrators.
After going through some YouTube videos I finally came across the following:
This video gives you a complete demonstration about how you can use a bootable cd to clear the administrator password.
You don’t need to install any software while you are logged in.
- Simply download the .zip file by following the link specified in the video description.
- Unzip the folder to get the .iso image.
- Use this image to write a CD using any CD burning software.
- Reboot the system and change the primary boot device to CD ROM.
- When you leave the BIOS settings after saving them, you will be able to boot the CD which will direct you to the DOS mode.
- Rest is well demonstrated in the video.
This method worked like a charm and this is why I am writing this blog post to make a record of the same and probably help other users to work around their forgotten passwords.
So even if you don’t have a Guest account and your system is completely locked, you can buy a blank CD and visit your friend; or just go to any cyber cafe and follow the above procedure to make your magic CD. Just don’t forget to watch the video before you start with the process; otherwise you might end up like a magician being stuck in his magic closet.
P.S.: You can also opt for a bootable flash drive but that generally involves installing a software which is not allowed in a guest account.